Have you done New Year’s resolutions?
Are they inspiring?
Or feeling like a list of “shoulds”? More “to dos” for your “to do” list?
I have a better idea. Create your own “Theme For The Year”.
What’s A Theme For The Year?
A Theme For The Year is two or three words that capture the essence of what you want for 2017.
Like a recurring melody, your theme becomes central to your life.
Your theme gives you direction, inspires your choices, and reminds you of what’s most important to you!
My Theme For 2017 is Ease, Simplicity, Connection. The words have meaning for me – no explanation needed.
How To Create Your Theme For 2017
- To create your Theme ask yourself the following 5 questions:
- A year from now what will I be glad I started in 2017? e.g. healthy choices, more “me” time
- What is something special that would make 2017 an outstanding year for me? e.g. travel, friendships, fun
- What gives me my greatest joy, my most fun?
- What did I learn about myself last year that will make a difference in 2017?
- What am I willing to let go of? e.g. worry, perfectionism
- To clarify your theme, ask yourself:
- “What is important to me about each of my answers?”
- “What words capture what’s important to me in 2017?”
Take time for reflection so that the words for your Theme For The Year inspire you and come from your heart. Remember, the words you choose need only have meaning to you.
If you still aren’t sure what to include for your Theme For The Year, be inspired by the following quote:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain
Next Step – Bringing Your Theme Into Your Daily Life
Having clarified your Theme, the next step is looking at ways of bring it into your every day life. The good news is that your theme will open the door to actions that motivate you.
When I looked at my Theme – Ease, Simplicity, Connection – I decided that one way to bring ease and simplicity into my life is to ask for help. That’s a stretch for me. I lean towards being independent and figuring out things on my own. It’s an old story of not wanting to bother others. Yet I know people are willing to help when asked. I even get offers of help without asking, (offers I don’t always say “yes” to – there’s that independent streak again).
Theme vs. Resolutions
If I made a New Year’s resolution to ask for help – that feels flat to me, uninspiring, and I would resist doing it.
But when I view asking for help as a way to bring ease and simplicity into my life, that shifts my perspective, motivates me and gets me into action.
So for 2017 I’m making it a practice of asking for help – my way of living into Ease and Simplicity.
What is your Theme For the Year?
What are ways that you can bring your theme into your daily life?